2007 Pacific Northwest VHF Society Conference
September 28 - 30, 2007
Shilo Inn, Bend, Oregon
- ARRL Log Checking, Fact and Fiction — Dan Henderson, N1ND
- High-Power 6M Amplifier Design — Dick Frey, K4XU
- Building High-Performance 1296 Yagis — Jim Klitzing, W6PQL
- VHF+ DXpedition to Prince of Wales Island — Paul Kiesel, K7CW
- Pacific NW VHF Society Marathon — Frank Bechdoldt, K3UHF
- VUAC Update — Jim Aguirre, W7DHC
2007 White Papers
- SDR and Amateur Radio
Software Defined Radio (SDR) is a hot topic among radio Amateurs today. SDR offers today's Amateur the ability to experiment, learn and contribute to this new and growing filed in a meaningful way, much like the Amateurs of the 20's and 30's contributed to the advancement of the radio art in their day. This presentation focuses on a major, grassroots SDR effort within Amateur radio.
Presented by Lyle KK7P at the Microhams Digital Conference 2007.
- WSJT Meteor Scatter and Propagation Visualization
Looking at tropo, meteor scatter and jet aircraft Doppler signals with DSP programs (ARGO, SPECTRAN and WSJT). Includes WSJT primer. ARGO and SPECTRAN are included in the Utilities section of the 2007 Proceedings.
Presented by Bob K7OFT at the Microhams Digital Conference 2007.
Don Krug K7HSJ — 2007 VHFer of the Year
For promoting the growth of VHF activity, mentoring new operators and encouraging them to remain active in Central Oregon. He has also been a past director and hosted two previous society conferences.
Awards & Prizes
Icom IC-910h won by Barbara Alexander KD7OFC of Bellingham, WA
Yaesu FT-857d won by Al White KD6GIY (later W7KHD) of Klamath Falls, WA
- 2007 Conference Photos
Photo credit to N7CFO, N7KGA and N7SS
- Bruce Junkin, KI7JA
- Rod Johnson, WE7X
Rod Johnson WE7X from his Sept 2007 VHF Contest site in CN97, just west of SunTop lookout, on Huckleberry Ridge at 5000ft ASL.
- Icom Radio News, Volume 5 (15:09)
- CQ Contest CQ Contest, this is K3LR... Come check out why this callsign is drawing all the attention in the contest world on the latest release of ICOM Radio News!
- Reubens Tube Experiment (2:42)
- See waveforms in flame! A speaker, tube and propane make for an interesting show.
- ARRL Hello-Radio Video (4:05)
- Short ham radio introduction
- Katrina and Ham Radio (5:29)
- Red Cross and Amateur Radio during the Katrina aftermath.
- Broadband over Power Line (3:33)
- This video clearly and concisely explains and depicts the threat of Broadband over Power Line (BPL) to Amateur Radio. The video, BPL and HF: A Primer, runs approximately three and one-half minutes (including credits). It's suitable for Amateur Radio club presentations as well as for non-ham audiences, such as the news media, civic clubs, local governments and emergency response agencies.
- Peeking at Solar Loops up Close (September 14, 2007) (0:19)
- With their 2048 x 2048 frame size and images as often as every 2.5 minutes, STEREO
images in the extreme ultraviolet wavelength provides us with the opportunity to
pick out any part of the Sun and zoom in for a much closer look. We picked out
one active region (September 6, 2007) and magnified our view of that area 10
times from the image showing the entire Sun. Even with a full screen view of the
original frame, details of this active region are difficult to discern. But, the
close-up still and the movie frames reveal subtle details of lighter loops of
plasma arcing and slowly changing above this active region. These trace the
magnetic field lines that rise out, above, and connect back into the solar
surface. The looping patterns shift and sway over this 15 hours period, but do
not generate any solar storms.
For more STEREO image and movies, visit: http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/
When the Solar Dynamics Observatory launches and begin operations in about year or so, it will offer much faster frame rates and even more detailed images of the Sun.
Halloween storms LASCO C2 (Oct 18 - Nov 7, 2003) (1:24)
Halloween storms EIT 195A (Oct 17 - Nov 5, 2003) (2:06)
Samples from 10 Years of EIT Observations (1996 - 2005) (0:50)
Images provided by Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)
- Argo Software v1.134
- Spectran Software v2.216
- Ham Radio Deluxe 3.5 Beta
- Radio Mobile Software v8.4.1
Please report broken links and functional problems to the webmaster